Wednesday, October 5, 2011

October Goal - Buy Nothing New

I stumbled across this initiative this morning , where you pledge to Buy Nothing New for the month of October 2011. The campaign aims to makes us sit back and think about why we buy things, where it all comes from and where it ends up when we throw it away.

I know I am constantly looking around my room at all my 'things' wondering how I managed to accumulate it all, buying a cheapie dress that I 'NEED!' for a girls night out and never wearing it again. 

Whilst Buy Nothing New is about raising awareness on consumption, I'm also really inspired to boost my savings at the moment so I am extra motivated to see this through. After all that spending on my trip which can only be described as a savings massacre , my bank account needs a little extra loving.

My biggest challenge will be that fact that it is my birthday at the end of October which usually is accompanied by shopping splurges. The way I view it is that I just brought everything I could ever need, using my birthday to go crazy is no excuse. I think that will be easier said then done.... but I will survive! I will also be actioning some major decluttering to donate what I don't use and to help me realise what I already have.

Luckily, all the good savings habits I have built up over this year are still going strong and I am already back into it. You can check out my post here for a few tips.

I've come to realise that it is imperative that I go to Paris ( amongst other places) in the near future and that will form part of my inspiration to stay away from the shops and buy nothing new!

Source: We Heart It


Check out the Buy Nothing New website here.

What do you think of this idea, and do you think you could do it?

2 comments:

  1. Aww, if I wasn't going to Sydney again next Thursday I would take part. In saying that, it seems all I've spent my money on lately is gifts and neccessities for the trip, goddamn birthday season! Definitely need to start tightening my belt as Christmas is just around the corner! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh I love this! I really need to stop buying stuff!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!